Will my baby develop diabetes if I have gestational diabetes?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Gestational diabetes does not cause the infant to have diabetes. The child’s risk of developing diabetes is related to body weight, nutrition, exercise and family history. The presence of gestational diabetes is a positive family history, thus lifestyle behaviors are important to maintaining the child's health.

Gestational diabetes doesn't cause diabetes in babies. However, babies of mothers with gestational diabetes have a higher chance of being very overweight and getting diabetes when they reach their teen years or early adulthood.

Ms. Vandana  R. Sheth
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Just because you have gestational diabetes does not mean that your baby will have diabetes. Especially if you have your gestational diabetes under good control with the help of your healthcare team--physician, registered dietitian and certified diabetes educator.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes in Hawaii
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
Gestational Diabetes and the Power of Breastfeeding
When Mariah Carey developed gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) before she delivered twins in April of 2011 she hoped giving birth would put her worri...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with gestational diabetes?
Pregnancy can be an exciting but challenging time for most women; having to manage gestational diabe...
Can I cut back on sugar if I have gestational diabetes?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have gestational diabetes, it is best to watch out for sugar and concentrated sweets. Swe...