When is the oral glucose tolerance test performed?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
The oral glucose tolerance test is routinely performed between 24 to 28 weeks gestation. It is a test to screen for gestational diabetes. The patient is asked to drink a 50gram glucose drink and then 1 hour later her blood is drawn.  If her blood glucose level is greater than 140, she has failed the test and will have to repeat the test with a 3 hour glucose tolerance test.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes in Hawaii
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
How should I change my diet if I have gestational diabetes?
Charla SimonCharla Simon
If you are diagnosed with gestational diabetes the first therapy recommended is dietary modification...
How is gestational diabetes diagnosed?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Women with gestational diabetes often have no symptoms. For this reason, experts recommend a glucose...