When does gestational diabetes develop?

Gestational diabetes only appears during pregnancy in women with no previous history of type 1 or type 2 diabetes and usually goes away after pregnancy. Pregnant women are tested for gestational diabetes, usually during the 24th week of gestation. After pregnancy, 5 to 10 percent of women with gestational diabetes are diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Women who develop gestational diabetes have a 20 to 50 percent risk of developing type 2 diabetes in the next 5 to 10 years.

Gestational diabetes usually develops during the second trimester of pregnancy. Therefore it is recommended that all pregnant women receive a glucose tolerance test between the 24th and 28th week of pregnancy to screen for the condition. Women who have risk factors for gestational diabetes may have this test earlier in the pregnancy.

Tonya Bolden
Alternative & Complementary Medicine
Gestational diabetes develops only during pregnancy. Like type 2 diabetes, it occurs more often in African Americans, American Indians, Hispanic Americans, and among women with a family history of diabetes. Women who have had gestational diabetes have a 20 to 50 percent chance of developing type 2 diabetes within 5 to 10 years.
Half the Mother, Twice the Love: My Journey to Better Health with Diabetes

As a talk-show host and inspirational speaker, Mother Love used to have to just grin and bear it -- all that extra weight and the poor health that went along with it. Today she can truly smile as she...

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes in Hawaii
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
Gestational Diabetes and the Power of Breastfeeding
When Mariah Carey developed gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) before she delivered twins in April of 2011 she hoped giving birth would put her worri...
Should I talk to my doctor about gestational diabetes?
If you developed gestational diabetes in the past, and are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant...
How does low blood sugar relate to gestational diabetes?
Low blood sugar, also called hypoglycemia or low blood glucose, is a potential complication for your...