When should I call my doctor if I have gestational diabetes?

If you have gestational diabetes, call your doctor or midwife if you develop any of the symptoms of high blood sugar listed below.

Symptoms of high blood sugar. These include:
  • Excess thirst
  • A frequent need to urinate (pee)
  • Fatigue
Symptoms of low blood sugar. These include:
  • Confusion or dizziness
  • Feeling shaky
  • Headaches
  • Sudden hunger
  • Sweating not explained by exercise
  • Weakness
If your symptoms are severe -- or if they are rapidly becoming worse -- call 911.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
Gestational Diabetes and the Power of Breastfeeding
When Mariah Carey developed gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) before she delivered twins in April of 2011 she hoped giving birth would put her worri...
What increases my risk for gestational diabetes?
The risk of developing gestational diabetes mellitus during pregnancy is increased if any of the fol...
Will I have gestational diabetes after I deliver my baby?
Charla SimonCharla Simon
The majority of women who have gestational diabetes will have resolution of the diabetes after deliv...