When should I call my doctor if I have gestational diabetes?

If you have gestational diabetes, call your doctor or midwife if you develop any of the symptoms of high blood sugar listed below.

Symptoms of high blood sugar. These include:
  • Excess thirst
  • A frequent need to urinate (pee)
  • Fatigue
Symptoms of low blood sugar. These include:
  • Confusion or dizziness
  • Feeling shaky
  • Headaches
  • Sudden hunger
  • Sweating not explained by exercise
  • Weakness
If your symptoms are severe -- or if they are rapidly becoming worse -- call 911.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
Gestational Diabetes and the Power of Breastfeeding
When Mariah Carey developed gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) before she delivered twins in April of 2011 she hoped giving birth would put her worri...
How will gestational diabetes affect my lifestyle?
Managing gestational diabetes is a daily commitment, but the better this condition is managed, the m...
What should I know before I start insulin therapy for gestational diabetes?
Many drugs can raise or lower blood sugar and lessen or intensify the effects of insulin. Be sure to...