What is insulin therapy for gestational diabetes?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Insulin is a hormone produced in the pancreas. It is needed to move glucose, a source of energy, from the bloodstream into cells throughout the body. Women sometimes develop resistance to insulin during pregnancy, a condition called gestational diabetes. This is usually treated with insulin.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes in Hawaii
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
How should I eat if I have gestational diabetes?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have gestational diabetes, you should try to eat a very small breakfast, with a similar mid-m...
Will I have gestational diabetes after I deliver my baby?
Charla SimonCharla Simon
The majority of women who have gestational diabetes will have resolution of the diabetes after deliv...