What are warning signs of gestational diabetes?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Warning sign of gestational diabetes include women who are overweight prior to pregnancy as well as women with a family history of diabetes. In addition past obstetrical history and signs in the current pregnancy may be warning signs of the potential to develop gestational diabetes.

Factors from a woman’s past obstetrical history that increases the risk of developing gestational diabetes include:

• Previously giving birth to a baby over 9 pounds
  • Previously giving birth to a stillborn baby
  • Having gestational diabetes with a previous pregnancy

Factors in the current pregnancy that increases the risk of developing gestational diabetes include:

• Uterine size greater than dates
  • Polyhydramnios
Ms. Vandana  R. Sheth
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Women with gestational diabetes don't necessarily have warning signs.  Sometimes, women might experience excessive thirst and increased urination.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
Gestational Diabetes and the Power of Breastfeeding
When Mariah Carey developed gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) before she delivered twins in April of 2011 she hoped giving birth would put her worri...
Do I need to count calories if I have gestational diabetes?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Following a proper balanced meal plan is imperative if you have gestational diabetes. However, s...
What increases my risk for gestational diabetes?
The risk of developing gestational diabetes mellitus during pregnancy is increased if any of the fol...