If I tightly manage my gestational diabetes, how can I avoid hypoglycemia?

Because you are aiming for a very tight range, your risk of hypoglycemia will increase. Make sure you can recognize early warning symptoms of low blood glucose. Check your blood glucose level often. When low, follow guidelines so that you can avoid overtreatment. Take 15 grams of carbohydrate, wait 10 to 15 minutes, and retest your blood. If you are still low, repeat this treatment. Try to avoid causing your blood glucose to go any higher than your target range. Striving for these blood glucose targets requires extra effort and diligence. Although it is hard work, you are doing all that you can to ensure good health for yourself and your baby.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

If I had gestational diabetes will I get type 2 diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Not necessarily, but your risk does go up. The fact that you had diabetes when you were pregnant me...
How is gestational diabetes treated?
The primary treatment for gestational diabetes is diet. A nutritionist is consulted to work with the...
What causes gestational diabetes?
Changing hormones and weight gain are part of a healthy pregnancy. But both changes make it hard for...
Will I have gestational diabetes after I deliver my baby?
Charla SimonCharla Simon
The majority of women who have gestational diabetes will have resolution of the diabetes after deliv...