If I tightly manage my gestational diabetes, how can I avoid hypoglycemia?

Because you are aiming for a very tight range, your risk of hypoglycemia will increase. Make sure you can recognize early warning symptoms of low blood glucose. Check your blood glucose level often. When low, follow guidelines so that you can avoid overtreatment. Take 15 grams of carbohydrate, wait 10 to 15 minutes, and retest your blood. If you are still low, repeat this treatment. Try to avoid causing your blood glucose to go any higher than your target range. Striving for these blood glucose targets requires extra effort and diligence. Although it is hard work, you are doing all that you can to ensure good health for yourself and your baby.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes in Hawaii
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
Will gestational diabetes prevent me from breastfeeding?
Vandana  R. ShethVandana R. Sheth
No, it should not.  In fact, breastfeeding is highly recommended as a valuable tool to help your bod...
How do I manage my gestational diabetes on a daily basis?
Ximena JimenezXimena Jimenez
For proper management of gestational diabetes, it is essential to monitor blood glucose level on a d...