Should I talk to my doctor about gestational diabetes?

If you developed gestational diabetes in the past, and are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant, then you should talk to your doctor. A previous history of gestational diabetes places you at a higher risk of developing this condition again, so your doctor will probably want to monitor your blood sugar during your pregnancy. If left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause serious complications for you and your baby.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes in Hawaii
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
Will gestational diabetes affect delivery?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
The greatest impact of gestational diabetes on delivery is related to fetal size. When gestational d...
When is the oral glucose tolerance test performed?
Kevin W. Windom, MDKevin W. Windom, MD
The oral glucose tolerance test is routinely performed between 24 to 28 weeks gestation. It is a tes...