Should I talk to my doctor about gestational diabetes?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If you developed gestational diabetes in the past, and are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant, then you should talk to your doctor. A previous history of gestational diabetes places you at a higher risk of developing this condition again, so your doctor will probably want to monitor your blood sugar during your pregnancy. If left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause serious complications for you and your baby.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

What is insulin therapy for gestational diabetes?
Insulin is a hormone produced in the pancreas. It is needed to move glucose, a source of energy, fro...
When should I get checked for gestational diabetes during pregnancy?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
If you have risk factors like a family history of diabetes, a weight problem, gestational diabetes i...
Are there any alternative treatments for gestational diabetes?
Gestational diabetes develops when blood sugar levels become too high during pregnancy. It is treate...
What side effects does insulin therapy for gestational diabetes have?
Low blood sugar is the most common side effect of insulin. It is more common in people who have irre...