How do I prevent hypoglycemia if I have diabetes when pregnant?

Many pregnant women, who have intensive blood glucose goals, may experience hypoglycemia unawareness. Thus, they are more likely to have mild and moderate bouts of hypoglycemia. Pregnant women should keep up a consistent blood glucose monitoring routine and check their blood glucose when hypoglycemia is most likely (between meals and in the middle of the night). You need to treat any blood glucose level below 70 mg/dl. You’ll have to take special precautions if you are pregnant and become unconscious.

• You may need only half the normal dose of glucagon at the beginning of
  a severe episode of hypoglycemia.

• After 15 minutes, if you do not regain consciousness or your blood
  glucose levels do not rise, you need another shot and someone should
  call 911 for emergency help.

• Make sure that those with whom you spend time know that you are
  pregnant and know what to do if you have a low blood glucose episode.

Ask your health care provider about the dose of glucagon you need

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes in Hawaii
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
Can I drink alcohol if I have gestational diabetes?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Whether you have gestational diabetes or not, you should not drink alcohol during your pregnancy...
When is the oral glucose tolerance test performed?
Kevin W. Windom, MDKevin W. Windom, MD
The oral glucose tolerance test is routinely performed between 24 to 28 weeks gestation. It is a tes...