How do I prevent hypoglycemia if I have diabetes when pregnant?

Many pregnant women, who have intensive blood glucose goals, may experience hypoglycemia unawareness. Thus, they are more likely to have mild and moderate bouts of hypoglycemia. Pregnant women should keep up a consistent blood glucose monitoring routine and check their blood glucose when hypoglycemia is most likely (between meals and in the middle of the night). You need to treat any blood glucose level below 70 mg/dl. You’ll have to take special precautions if you are pregnant and become unconscious.

• You may need only half the normal dose of glucagon at the beginning of
  a severe episode of hypoglycemia.

• After 15 minutes, if you do not regain consciousness or your blood
  glucose levels do not rise, you need another shot and someone should
  call 911 for emergency help.

• Make sure that those with whom you spend time know that you are
  pregnant and know what to do if you have a low blood glucose episode.

Ask your health care provider about the dose of glucagon you need

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

How is gestational diabetes treated?
The primary treatment for gestational diabetes is diet. A nutritionist is consulted to work with the...
What are the risks if I do not follow a gestational diabetes diet?
Jennifer ShawJennifer Shaw
If blood sugars are uncontrolled during a pregnancy, there are risks for both the mom and the baby. ...
How do I know if my meal plan is helping control my gestational diabetes?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have gestational diabetes, you will need to test your blood glucose in order to find out ...
Should I talk to my doctor about gestational diabetes?
If you developed gestational diabetes in the past, and are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant...