How should I eat if I have gestational diabetes?

If you have gestational diabetes, you should try to eat a very small breakfast, with a similar mid-morning snack about two hours later. When you have gestational diabetes, your blood glucose tends to be high in the morning. To offset this, your meal plan will probably include fewer carbs at breakfast than at lunch or dinner. Eat a healthy balanced diet containing the following food groups:

Starches: These are good sources of minerals, B vitamins and fiber. To get the most good from these foods:

• Make most of your grains whole grains, like whole-wheat bread, oatmeal, brown rice.
  • Eat more peas and beans.
  • Choose low-fat, low-salt and low-sugar starches.

Fruits: These are good sources of vitamins A and C, minerals and fiber. To get the most good from these foods:

• Eat the edible peelings of fruits to get the most fiber.
  • Choose fruits without added sugar, sweeteners or syrups.

Milk: Milk is a good source of protein, calcium and vitamins A and D. To get the most good from milk:

• Always choose nonfat or low-fat milk and yogurt.
  • Choose unsweetened milk, soymilk, and yogurt—or versions flavored with artificial sweetener.
  • Drink lactose-free versions if you need to.

Non-starchy vegetables: These are good sources of vitamins A and C, folate and fiber. To get the most good from these foods:

• Eat fresh or frozen vegetables more often than canned vegetables.
  • Buy and prepare vegetables without sauces, fats or salt.
  • Eat more dark green, orange, and yellow vegetables.

Meat and other protein-rich foods: These are a good sources of iron, zinc and B vitamins. To get the most good from these foods:

• Eat fish more often.
  • Choose lean cuts of meat and trim excess fat from poultry—and keep servings about the size of a deck of cards.
  • Choose fat-free or low-fat cheese.
  • Instead of frying—bake, broil or roast meats.

Oils and fats: These help the body run smoothly and provide flavor and texture. To get the most good from these foods, read labels and:

• Most often, choose monounsaturated fats and oils.
  • Less often, choose polyunsaturated fats and oils.
  • Limit or avoid saturated fats and trans fats.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes in Hawaii
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
Should I talk to my doctor about gestational diabetes?
If you developed gestational diabetes in the past, and are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant...
What is insulin therapy for gestational diabetes?
Insulin is a hormone produced in the pancreas. It is needed to move glucose, a source of energy, fro...