How can I reduce my risk for gestational diabetes?

Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Family Medicine
There are ways you can reduce your risk for gestational diabetes. Some are:
  • Maintain a healthy weight before pregnancy.
  • Gain only the amount of weight recommended by your doctor during pregnancy.
  • Exercise regularly before and during pregnancy.
  • Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet.
Gestational diabetes is a condition that occurs during pregnancy, usually towards the end of the 2nd trimester. Practical tips for decreasing your risk for gestational diabetes are the same as those for type 2 diabetes: Keep your weight in a healthy range prior to conception, avoid excessive weight gain during pregnancy and remain physically active. If you were not physically active prior to becoming pregnant, talk with your healthcare provider about the right level of exercise for you during pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
Gestational Diabetes and the Power of Breastfeeding
When Mariah Carey developed gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) before she delivered twins in April of 2011 she hoped giving birth would put her worri...
How does high blood sugar relate to gestational diabetes?
Carlos E. Mendez, MDCarlos E. Mendez, MD
Hormones produced during the pregnancy can counteract the effect of insulin. If there is even a mild...
How should I change my diet if I have gestational diabetes?
Melissa Joy DobbinsMelissa Joy Dobbins
If you are diagnosed with gestational diabetes, you should see a registered dietitian to help you cr...