How can I reduce my risk for gestational diabetes?

Gestational diabetes is a condition that occurs during pregnancy, usually towards the end of the 2nd trimester. Practical tips for decreasing your risk for gestational diabetes are the same as those for type 2 diabetes: Keep your weight in a healthy range prior to conception, avoid excessive weight gain during pregnancy and remain physically active. If you were not physically active prior to becoming pregnant, talk with your healthcare provider about the right level of exercise for you during pregnancy.
Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Family Medicine
There are ways you can reduce your risk for gestational diabetes. Some are:
  • Maintain a healthy weight before pregnancy.
  • Gain only the amount of weight recommended by your doctor during pregnancy.
  • Exercise regularly before and during pregnancy.
  • Eat a healthy, well-balanced diet.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

What is insulin therapy for gestational diabetes?
Insulin is a hormone produced in the pancreas. It is needed to move glucose, a source of energy, fro...
How do medications treat gestational diabetes?
Only a small percentage of women diagnosed with gestational diabetes will need to take medication. H...
How can I know if I am at risk for gestational diabetes?
To learn about your risk for gestational diabetes, select the items that apply to you. At your first...
How will gestational diabetes affect my lifestyle?
Managing gestational diabetes is a daily commitment, but the better this condition is managed, the m...