How should I prepare for my gestational diabetes screening?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If your doctor has determined that you are at risk for gestational diabetes, you will probably be screened, or tested. When you are screened depends on how high these risk factors are. For most women, screening takes place sometime in the second trimester. The most common test for gestational diabetes is the initial glucose challenge test, in which your blood sugar is tested after you drink a glucose solution. If it is higher than normal, you will receive a follow-up glucose challenge test, for which you will need to fast eight hours beforehand. Have a list of symptoms, questions, and your medical history prepared before the initial visit. Bring someone with you to help remember all of the information given during the screening.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes in Hawaii
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...