How do medications treat gestational diabetes?

Only a small percentage of women diagnosed with gestational diabetes will need to take medication. However, you may need to take insulin during pregnancy if diet and exercise are not sufficient in managing your blood sugar levels. If gestational diabetes is well managed during pregnancy, you will help reduce the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes later in life.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

Gestational Diabetes and the Power of Breastfeeding
When Mariah Carey developed gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) before she delivered twins in April of 2011 she hoped giving birth would put her worri...
What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
How is my baby's health monitored if I have gestational diabetes?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have gestational diabetes, your doctor or midwife may suggest tests to evaluate your baby...
Will gestational diabetes affect delivery?
Kathy SniderKathy Snider
Gestational diabetes can sometimes affect whether you are able to deliver your baby vaginally or by ...