How do I manage my gestational diabetes on a daily basis?

Ximena Jimenez

For proper management of gestational diabetes, it is essential to monitor blood glucose level on a daily basis. Check your blood sugar fasting and 2 hours after meals. Testing after breakfast, lunch or dinner can tell you the effects of the type and amount of food you are eating.

You'll need to monitor your blood glucose levels several times a day as part of your daily treatment of gestational diabetes. You'll also need to follow a prescribed diet, as food and alcohol affect blood sugar levels. It's important to incorporate some type of exercise into your daily routine. If you were inactive before your pregnancy, you can start slowly and build your way up.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
Gestational Diabetes and the Power of Breastfeeding
When Mariah Carey developed gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) before she delivered twins in April of 2011 she hoped giving birth would put her worri...
What side effects does insulin therapy for gestational diabetes have?
Low blood sugar is the most common side effect of insulin. It is more common in people who have irre...
When should I get checked for gestational diabetes during pregnancy?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
If you have risk factors like a family history of diabetes, a weight problem, gestational diabetes i...