How do I manage my gestational diabetes on a daily basis?

Ximena Jimenez

For proper management of gestational diabetes, it is essential to monitor blood glucose level on a daily basis. Check your blood sugar fasting and 2 hours after meals. Testing after breakfast, lunch or dinner can tell you the effects of the type and amount of food you are eating.

You'll need to monitor your blood glucose levels several times a day as part of your daily treatment of gestational diabetes. You'll also need to follow a prescribed diet, as food and alcohol affect blood sugar levels. It's important to incorporate some type of exercise into your daily routine. If you were inactive before your pregnancy, you can start slowly and build your way up.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

Gestational Diabetes and the Power of Breastfeeding
When Mariah Carey developed gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) before she delivered twins in April of 2011 she hoped giving birth would put her worri...
What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
How can I maintain healthy blood sugar levels with gestational diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
If you have diabetes, you're much more likely to have peripheral artery disease (PAD), a heart attac...
How should I eat if I have gestational diabetes?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have gestational diabetes, you should try to eat a very small breakfast, with a similar mid-m...