How common is gestational diabetes?

Studies show that less than ten percent of all babies are born to women with gestational diabetes. The risk of developing gestational diabetes is higher once you reach age 25. This risk is nearly six times higher for women over 40 than for teenage mothers.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes in Hawaii
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
Gestational Diabetes and the Power of Breastfeeding
When Mariah Carey developed gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) before she delivered twins in April of 2011 she hoped giving birth would put her worri...
Should I exercise if I have gestational diabetes?
Check with your doctor to be sure, but if you are like most women who have gestational diabetes,...
How can I reduce my risk for gestational diabetes?
Daniel R. Spogen, MDDaniel R. Spogen, MD
There are ways you can reduce your risk for gestational diabetes. Some are: Maintain a healthy w...