How is my baby's health monitored if I have gestational diabetes?

If you have gestational diabetes, your doctor or midwife may suggest tests to evaluate your baby's health during the pregnancy. Examples include:
  • Baby kick count: keeping track of the baby's movements
  • Nonstress test: monitoring fetal heart rate over a short period of time
  • Ultrasound: creating an image of the fetus
These tests, along with treatment for your diabetes, lower your baby's chances of having problems. With good care and management for your diabetes, you have an excellent chance of delivering a healthy baby.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes in Hawaii
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
Will I have gestational diabetes after I deliver my baby?
Charla SimonCharla Simon
The majority of women who have gestational diabetes will have resolution of the diabetes after deliv...
How does high blood sugar relate to gestational diabetes?
Carlos E. Mendez, MDCarlos E. Mendez, MD
Hormones produced during the pregnancy can counteract the effect of insulin. If there is even a mild...