What is the "glucose challenge" test given to pregnant women?

As part of being screened for gestational diabetes, your doctor will give you a test called a glucose challenge, in which you'll consume 50 grams of sugar (it's why you get that cup of orange soda - an admittedly nasty concoction called glucola). If your blood sugar level is higher than 135 mg/dL after an hour, it's a sign that you're not clearing glucose fast enough and you'll be given a second challenge with 100 grams of sugar.

In this case, after consuming a load of sugar (in a soda or candy bar), your blood sugar levels will be monitored over three hours. Your goal is to be less than 180 mg/dl in the first hour after eating, less than 165 after two hours, and less than 145 after three hours. If not, your doctor will talk to you about the first line of treatment - controlling blood sugar through diet and exercise. If that doesn't work, she may consider prescribing diabetes drugs for you.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes in Hawaii
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
Gestational Diabetes and the Power of Breastfeeding
When Mariah Carey developed gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) before she delivered twins in April of 2011 she hoped giving birth would put her worri...
If I tightly manage my gestational diabetes, how can I avoid hypoglycemia?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Because you are aiming for a very tight range, your risk of hypoglycemia will increase. Make sure yo...
How do I know if my meal plan is helping control my gestational diabetes?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you have gestational diabetes, you will need to test your blood glucose in order to find out ...