Do I need to count calories if I have gestational diabetes?

Following a proper balanced meal plan is imperative if you have gestational diabetes. However, some women with gestational diabetes may need to count calories, but many others don’t. Your meal plan will list all of the targets you need to aim for -- and your healthcare provider can answer any questions.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

Gestational Diabetes and the Power of Breastfeeding
When Mariah Carey developed gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) before she delivered twins in April of 2011 she hoped giving birth would put her worri...
What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
Should I be screened for gestational diabetes?
Dr. Deborah Raines, MSNDr. Deborah Raines, MSN
It is recommended that all pregnant women be screened for gestational diabetes mellitus between 24 a...
How does high blood sugar relate to gestational diabetes?
Carlos E. Mendez, MDCarlos E. Mendez, MD
Hormones produced during the pregnancy can counteract the effect of insulin. If there is even a mild...