Can gestational diabetes occur more than once?

Yes,having gestational diabetes mellitus in a prior pregnancy is a risk factor for the condition to recur in future pregnancies.

If you have a history of gestational diabetes, a form of diabetes that only occurs during pregnancy, you are at a higher risk of developing it again in a future pregnancy. If you are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant and you have a history of gestational diabetes, talk to your doctor. You can significantly reduce the risk of complications, especially for your baby, by managing your blood sugar before, during, and after your pregnancy.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

Gestational Diabetes and the Power of Breastfeeding
When Mariah Carey developed gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM) before she delivered twins in April of 2011 she hoped giving birth would put her worri...
What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
What should I know before I start insulin therapy for gestational diabetes?
Many drugs can raise or lower blood sugar and lessen or intensify the effects of insulin. Be sure to...
How do I prevent hypoglycemia if I have diabetes when pregnant?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Many pregnant women, who have intensive blood glucose goals, may experience hypoglycemia unawareness...