Are there any alternative treatments for gestational diabetes?

Gestational diabetes develops when blood sugar levels become too high during pregnancy. It is treated with a combination of blood sugar monitoring, diet, exercise, and medication.   Medications prescribed for gestational diabetes may include insulin, metformin or glyburide and related medications.  Some people take dietary supplements or vitamins such as chromium, omega-3 fatty acids or vitamin E, but there is no good evidence that any of these manage gestational diabetes effectively.  It is very important to talk to your doctor before taking any type of supplements during pregnancy, as some may be harmful to you or your baby.

Continue Learning about Gestational Diabetes

What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes in Hawaii
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
What You Need to Know About Gestational Diabetes
You’ve probably heard of type 1 and type 2 diabetes—and maybe even prediabetes—but did you know there’s another form of the disease that can develop d...
Do I need to count calories if I have gestational diabetes?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Following a proper balanced meal plan is imperative if you have gestational diabetes. However, s...
If I had gestational diabetes will I get type 2 diabetes?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
Yes, women with gestational diabetes have an increased risk of developing type 2-diabetes later in l...