What are the treatment options for extragonadal germ cell tumors?

Treatment for extragonadal germ cell tumors depends on the character and progression of the tumor.

If the tumor is a teratoma (not yet cancerous), surgery to remove the tumor is the usual first-line treatment.

If the tumor is malignant (cancerous), treatment depends on whether the tumor is a seminoma or nonseminoma, as well as how far advanced the tumor is. For small seminomas isolated in one part of the body, your doctor may perform radiation therapy, in which radiation is directed at the tumor to kill its cells and shrink it, followed by regular diagnostic tests to make sure that the cancer has not returned. Large or spreading tumors will usually be treated first with chemotherapy (drugs that kill cancer); if chemotherapy was unable to remove all cancer cells, your doctor may surgically remove any tumor left.

If you have one or more nonseminoma tumors, your doctor will likely first prescribe chemotherapy and then remove leftover tumor surgically.

Continue Learning about Germ Cell Cancers

How do I care for someone with germ cell tumors?
To improve your child's chances of recovery, follow the treatment schedule for extracranial germ cel...
Are there alternative treatments for germ cell tumors?
The term "alternative" can be problematic when discussing treatments for childhood extracranial germ...
How do I manage my germ cell tumors on a daily basis?
To improve your chances of recovery, follow your treatment schedule for your extracranial germ cell ...
How is a stage IV germ cell tumor treated?
A stage IV germ cell tumor has spread beyond the abdominal cavity. Treatment of a stage IV dysgermin...