What are the treatment options for extragonadal germ cell tumors?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Treatment for extragonadal germ cell tumors depends on the character and progression of the tumor.

If the tumor is a teratoma (not yet cancerous), surgery to remove the tumor is the usual first-line treatment.

If the tumor is malignant (cancerous), treatment depends on whether the tumor is a seminoma or nonseminoma, as well as how far advanced the tumor is. For small seminomas isolated in one part of the body, your doctor may perform radiation therapy, in which radiation is directed at the tumor to kill its cells and shrink it, followed by regular diagnostic tests to make sure that the cancer has not returned. Large or spreading tumors will usually be treated first with chemotherapy (drugs that kill cancer); if chemotherapy was unable to remove all cancer cells, your doctor may surgically remove any tumor left.

If you have one or more nonseminoma tumors, your doctor will likely first prescribe chemotherapy and then remove leftover tumor surgically.

Continue Learning about Germ Cell Cancers

Is anything wrong if I have a lump on my testicles, abdomen, or tailbone?
An unusual lump on your testicles, abdomen, or tailbone may be a sign of extracranial germ cell tumo...
How do I prepare for an appointment about a germ cell tumor?
Before you meet with your doctor about possible symptoms of a childhood extracranial germ cell tumor...
Are there alternative treatments for germ cell tumors?
The term "alternative" can be problematic when discussing treatments for childhood extracranial germ...
How do I care for someone with germ cell tumors?
To improve your child's chances of recovery, follow the treatment schedule for extracranial germ cel...