What do the terms gonadal and extragonadal mean?

"Gonadal" means "located in a gonad," which is a reproductive organ in males (testicle) or females (ovary). "Extra" attached to the front of any word means "outside of," so "extragonadal" means "outside of the testicles or ovaries." Gonadal extracranial (outside of the cranium, or skull) germ cell tumors grow in the testicles or ovaries; extragonadal extracranial germ cell tumors grow in areas of the body outside of the testicles or ovaries, most often the back of the abdomen (retroperitoneum) or the space between the lungs (mediastinum). Although the germ cells that make up the tumor originate in the gonads, they may move through blood vessels or lymph vessels (paths for your immune system) to these other parts of the body.

Continue Learning about Germ Cell Cancers

Are there side effects of germ cell tumor removal surgery?
Side effects of childhood extracranial germ cell tumor removal surgery depend on the sex of the pati...
Is anything wrong if I have a lump on my testicles, abdomen, or tailbone?
An unusual lump on your testicles, abdomen, or tailbone may be a sign of extracranial germ cell tumo...
How do I manage my germ cell tumors on a daily basis?
To improve your chances of recovery, follow your treatment schedule for your extracranial germ cell ...
Are there alternative treatments for germ cell tumors?
The term "alternative" can be problematic when discussing treatments for childhood extracranial germ...