What are the symptoms of extragonadal germ cell tumors?

Depending on the type and location of your extragonadal germ cell tumor, various symptoms may occur. Because the most common bodily areas for tumors to grow are the brain, the area between the lungs, and the abdomen, you may experience symptoms such as headache, fever, vision problems, wheezing or trouble breathing, chest pain, cough, abdominal or back pain, constipation, or diarrhea. You may also have symptoms that do not seem to correspond to one of the above common sites, such as fatigue or trouble walking.

The wide range of symptoms initially may be interpreted, even by doctors, as less serious conditions. Watch for symptoms to persist and consistently worsen, which usually does not happen with other conditions.

Continue Learning about Germ Cell Cancers

Is anything wrong if I have a lump on my testicles, abdomen, or tailbone?
An unusual lump on your testicles, abdomen, or tailbone may be a sign of extracranial germ cell tumo...
How do I prepare for an appointment about a germ cell tumor?
Before you meet with your doctor about possible symptoms of a childhood extracranial germ cell tumor...
How is a stage IV germ cell tumor treated?
A stage IV germ cell tumor has spread beyond the abdominal cavity. Treatment of a stage IV dysgermin...
Are there alternative treatments for germ cell tumors?
The term "alternative" can be problematic when discussing treatments for childhood extracranial germ...