What is an extragonadal germ cell tumor?

An extragonadal germ cell tumor is a tumor of cells that would have become eggs or sperm. The term germ cell refers to a cell that will eventually become sperm in males or eggs in females. Germ cells develop in the testicles in males and in the ovaries in females. Germ cell tumors form when germ cell DNA is corrupted, causing germ cells to grow out of control and form clumps called tumors. Germ cells may move to other locations in the body before clumping into tumors. These tumors are referred to as extragonadal because they are outside the gonads, or reproductive organs.

Continue Learning about Germ Cell Cancers

How do I prepare for an appointment about a germ cell tumor?
Before you meet with your doctor about possible symptoms of a childhood extracranial germ cell tumor...
How do I manage my germ cell tumors on a daily basis?
To improve your chances of recovery, follow your treatment schedule for your extracranial germ cell ...
How is a stage IV germ cell tumor treated?
A stage IV germ cell tumor has spread beyond the abdominal cavity. Treatment of a stage IV dysgermin...
Are there side effects of germ cell tumor removal surgery?
Side effects of childhood extracranial germ cell tumor removal surgery depend on the sex of the pati...