What is extracranial germ cell tumor (childhood)?

A germ cell is a type of cell that will eventually become sperm in males or eggs in females. Germ cells develop in the testicles in males (testicular cancer) and in the ovaries in females (ovarian cancer). Germ cell tumors form when germ cell DNA is corrupted, causing germ cells to grow out of control and form clumps called tumors. Germ cells may move to other locations in the body outside of the brain (extracranial) before conglomerating into tumors.

Continue Learning about Germ Cell Cancers

Is anything wrong if I have a lump on my testicles, abdomen, or tailbone?
An unusual lump on your testicles, abdomen, or tailbone may be a sign of extracranial germ cell tumo...
How do I manage my germ cell tumors on a daily basis?
To improve your chances of recovery, follow your treatment schedule for your extracranial germ cell ...
How is a stage IV germ cell tumor treated?
A stage IV germ cell tumor has spread beyond the abdominal cavity. Treatment of a stage IV dysgermin...
Are there alternative treatments for germ cell tumors?
The term "alternative" can be problematic when discussing treatments for childhood extracranial germ...