What are the treatment options for germ cell tumors (childhood)?

Treatment for germ cell tumors depends on the character and progression of the tumor. If the tumor is not yet cancerous, surgery to remove the tumor is the usual first-line treatment, followed by chemotherapy if the tumor returns. Doctors will perform regular blood and imaging tests for 3 years after the procedure to monitor for recurrence. If the tumor is malignant (cancerous), treatment depends on whether the tumor is located in the reproductive organs or has spread to other parts of the body, as well as how far advanced the tumor is. Treatment for malignant tumors in the genitalia usually begin with surgical removal of the affect testicle (radical orchiectomy) or ovary (radical salpingo-oophorectomy), followed by chemotherapy (drugs that kill cancer) if surgery was unable to remove all cancer cells. Treatments for tumors developed outside the reproductive organs (malignant extragonadal tumors) may include surgery to remove the tumor and/or chemotherapy.

Continue Learning about Germ Cell Cancers

Are there alternative treatments for germ cell tumors?
The term "alternative" can be problematic when discussing treatments for childhood extracranial germ...
Is anything wrong if I have a lump on my testicles, abdomen, or tailbone?
An unusual lump on your testicles, abdomen, or tailbone may be a sign of extracranial germ cell tumo...
How do I prepare for an appointment about a germ cell tumor?
Before you meet with your doctor about possible symptoms of a childhood extracranial germ cell tumor...
How do I care for someone with germ cell tumors?
To improve your child's chances of recovery, follow the treatment schedule for extracranial germ cel...