Are there side effects of germ cell tumor removal surgery?

Side effects of childhood extracranial germ cell tumor removal surgery depend on the sex of the patient and the type and location of the tumor. Tumors removed from the testicles or abdominal lymph nodes in males may result in difficulty ejaculating. Surgery to remove cancerous ovaries in females may result in infertility; surgery to remove the entire cervix (total hysterectomy) necessarily results in inability to carry a pregnancy. Any time you undergo surgery you run the risk of infection, bleeding, and pain.

Continue Learning about Germ Cell Cancers

How do I care for someone with germ cell tumors?
To improve your child's chances of recovery, follow the treatment schedule for extracranial germ cel...
Are there alternative treatments for germ cell tumors?
The term "alternative" can be problematic when discussing treatments for childhood extracranial germ...
How do I prepare for an appointment about a germ cell tumor?
Before you meet with your doctor about possible symptoms of a childhood extracranial germ cell tumor...
Is anything wrong if I have a lump on my testicles, abdomen, or tailbone?
An unusual lump on your testicles, abdomen, or tailbone may be a sign of extracranial germ cell tumo...