How do I prepare for an appointment about a germ cell tumor?

Before you meet with your doctor about possible symptoms of a childhood extracranial germ cell tumor, it helps to write down all symptoms that you have been experiencing, when they started, and how they have changed or worsened. Also write down questions to ask your doctor, especially questions about how your symptoms will be diagnosed, and if a diagnosis determines an extracranial germ cell tumor, questions about where the tumor is, how big it is, how your doctor will treat it, and what your prognosis (chance of recovery) is. If you are a child or teenager, have your parents help you come up with questions to ask and accompany you to your appointment. They may be better able to understand some of the information your doctor gives you. Finally, make sure that the doctor with whom you meet has access to your full medical history before your appointment.

Continue Learning about Germ Cell Cancers

Is anything wrong if I have a lump on my testicles, abdomen, or tailbone?
An unusual lump on your testicles, abdomen, or tailbone may be a sign of extracranial germ cell tumo...
How do I care for someone with germ cell tumors?
To improve your child's chances of recovery, follow the treatment schedule for extracranial germ cel...
How do I manage my germ cell tumors on a daily basis?
To improve your chances of recovery, follow your treatment schedule for your extracranial germ cell ...
How is a stage IV germ cell tumor treated?
A stage IV germ cell tumor has spread beyond the abdominal cavity. Treatment of a stage IV dysgermin...