How does extracranial germ cell tumor (childhood) affect the body?

Germ cell cancers may travel to other places in the body, often the abdomen, lymph nodes, liver, bone, or lung. If it moves to organ of the body other than the brain, it is referred to as extracranial. Left untreated long enough to progress, germ cell cancer in the ovaries may cause anemia, weight loss, or hormonal imbalance, resulting in excessive growth of the uterine lining and body hair, enlargement of the breasts, and hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid).

Continue Learning about Germ Cell Cancers

How do I care for someone with germ cell tumors?
To improve your child's chances of recovery, follow the treatment schedule for extracranial germ cel...
How do I prepare for an appointment about a germ cell tumor?
Before you meet with your doctor about possible symptoms of a childhood extracranial germ cell tumor...
Are there side effects of germ cell tumor removal surgery?
Side effects of childhood extracranial germ cell tumor removal surgery depend on the sex of the pati...
Are there alternative treatments for germ cell tumors?
The term "alternative" can be problematic when discussing treatments for childhood extracranial germ...