How do I care for someone with germ cell tumors?

To improve your child's chances of recovery, follow the treatment schedule for extracranial germ cell tumor set by your child's doctor. If your child has been prescribed chemotherapy drugs, make sure that they are taken in the proper dosage and at the proper times. Take your child on regular doctor visits for blood tests and other means your doctor takes to monitor the progress of your treatment. Even if your child's tumor has been obliterated, it may recur in the future. Continue to visit your child's doctor regularly, monitor them for symptoms of another tumor, and help them maintain a generally healthful lifestyle by encouraging moderate exercise and preparing foods that are low in fat, sugar, and sodium and high in protein, vitamins, and minerals.

Continue Learning about Germ Cell Cancers

Is anything wrong if I have a lump on my testicles, abdomen, or tailbone?
An unusual lump on your testicles, abdomen, or tailbone may be a sign of extracranial germ cell tumo...
How do I prepare for an appointment about a germ cell tumor?
Before you meet with your doctor about possible symptoms of a childhood extracranial germ cell tumor...
Are there alternative treatments for germ cell tumors?
The term "alternative" can be problematic when discussing treatments for childhood extracranial germ...
Are there side effects of germ cell tumor removal surgery?
Side effects of childhood extracranial germ cell tumor removal surgery depend on the sex of the pati...