Why does lying down make GERD worse?

When you lie down, your stomach changes position, so that there is more acid exposure on the valve separating the stomach esophagus. Watch this animation to see how lying down can make GERD worse.

Continue Learning about GERD

What Increases My Risk for GERD?
What Increases My Risk for GERD?
No food after midnight! That was one of the “rules” for avoiding trouble that down-and-out Rand (Hoyt Axton) was given when he bought an extraterrestr...
How is endoscopic surgery for GERD perfomed?
Dr. Michael B. Ujiki, MDDr. Michael B. Ujiki, MD
The scarless procedure used to treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is called a transoral in...
Can milk soothe acid reflux?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Drinking milk is a common home remedy, and it can cause some short-term relief. Overall, however, th...
How Long Can I Take Medications to Treat GERD?