What are some triggers for acid reflux?

Diet and portion size are the most common triggers of acid reflux.

You may find your acid reflux triggered if you engage in any behaviors that put pressure on your abdomen or that affect your lower esophageal sphincter (LES)—the muscle that's responsible for keeping stomach acids from migrating back up into your throat.

• Dietary habits - Certain foods irritate or relax the LES, allowing stomach contents to creep back up into the esophagus and cause heartburn symptoms. Chocolate, coffee, alcohol, citrus, tomato-based foods, foods high in fat, spicy foods, garlic, onions, caffeine, and mint-flavored foods and beverages are common culprits. Overeating, reclining, lying down after a meal can cause heartburn as well.
  • Physical activity - Although exercise helps the digestive system work properly, exercising within the first few hours after eating can open the door to heartburn. Really vigorous activities, such as running, doing aerobics, or jumping rope, may make it especially easy for stomach acid to wash back up into the esophagus. And physical activities that require you to bend forward or lift heavy objects can increase abdominal pressure and bring on the burn as well.
  • Smoking - Harmful chemicals in smoke weaken the LES, making it easier for stomach contents to back up. Smoking may also increase the production of stomach acid.
  • Tight clothing - Clothing that constricts the abdominal area, such as snug pants, shirts, or belts, increases pressure on the LES and makes heartburn symptoms more likely.

Continue Learning about GERD

Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Heartburn occurs when digestive acid from the stomach backs up into the esophagus, the muscular tube that connects the throat to the stomach. This cau...
What will happen if I don't treat my acid reflux?
Dr. Jonathan E. Aviv, MDDr. Jonathan E. Aviv, MD
Left untreated, acid reflux disease can lead to many issues; it can affect the lungs/vocal cords, th...
What should a patient ask the doctor about chronic acid reflux?
Sharmila Anandasabapathy, MDSharmila Anandasabapathy, MD
If you have gastroesophageal reflux disease, you probably know it. In this video, Sharmila Anandasab...
What Can I Do to Treat Acid Reflux?
What Can I Do to Treat Acid Reflux?