What are signs my baby has acid reflux or heartburn?

Young children aren't immune to these stomach problems, although they often outgrow them. In the meantime, see a doctor if your child has trouble swallowing, regurgitates often or arches his back or is irritable after a feeding.

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics
Signs your baby has acid reflux, or heartburn, can be obvious or subtle. Some obvious signs are pain with feeds or spitting up and arching away from the bottle. Other more subtle signs are your baby taking smaller and smaller feeds or simply not seeming as happy after eating. Babies who have pain may just eat enough to be barely satisfied but not completely full. If you think your baby has acid reflux, talk to your pediatrician.

Continue Learning about GERD

Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Heartburn occurs when digestive acid from the stomach backs up into the esophagus, the muscular tube that connects the throat to the stomach. This cau...
Will raising the head of my bed help with heartburn?
Sleeping on an incline is one recommended way to stop heartburn. Eating small, frequent meals is als...
What is the difference between heartburn and acid reflux?
Heartburn and acid reflux are different in that acid reflux is a medical condition and heartburn is ...
What Can Happen If GERD Is Untreated?
What Can Happen If GERD Is Untreated?