What are the possible risks of esophageal testing?

As with any medical procedure, there are certain risks associated with esophageal testing or manometry. While serious side effects of this procedure are extremely rare, it is possible that you could experience irregular heartbeats, aspiration (when stomach contents flow back into the esophagus and are breathed into the lung), or perforation (a hole in the esophagus). During insertion, the tube may be misdirected into the windpipe before being repositioned. Precautions are taken to prevent such risks, and your physician believes the risks are outweighed by the benefits of this test.

Continue Learning about GERD

3 Ways to Squelch the Flames of Heart Disease
Reducing your risk of heart disease is as easy as switching up your diet. Find out from Carra Richling, from Ornish Lifestyle Medicine, how a plant-ba...
What medications treat gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)?
Most people treat the first symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and heartburn with ov...
How can I prevent acid reflux?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Stop it before it begins. Here are some helpful tips on preventing acid reflux.
How Can Acid Reflux Affect My Voice?
How Can Acid Reflux Affect My Voice?