What are the different kinds of surgery for acid reflux?

Antireflux surgery can either be performed laparoscopically or via an open incision. Today the vast majority of this type of operation are performed laparoscopically with small incisions, resulting in a shorter recovery. There are several different types of antireflux surgeries that include the Nissen and Hill Repairs. Each type attempts to reconstruct the normal anatomy and function of the gastroesophageal junction. Speak with your doctor or surgeon about your options.

Continue Learning about GERD

7 Ways to Fight GERD
7 Ways to Fight GERD
Sometimes the signs of acid reflux are unmistakeable -- from searing heartburn to sour-tasting acid burbling up in your throat. Sometimes the signs ar...
Is GERD the same thing as heartburn?
Dr. William B. Salt, MDDr. William B. Salt, MD
Heartburn is defined as an episodic burning sensation behind the breastbone related to gastroesophag...
What can I do about acid reflux?
Dr. Robynne K. Chutkan, MDDr. Robynne K. Chutkan, MD
Reflux is your body knocking on your door saying, "I don't like how you've been treating me. All tha...
Can Acid Reflux Lead to Cancer?
Can Acid Reflux Lead to Cancer?