What is regurgitation?

Regurgitation means backwards flow of a fluid. In the case of the GI tract, regurgitation is the forceful expulsion of stomach contents backwards through the esophagus and out the mouth. Regurgitation is an important body defense against noxious substances, but can be complicated by aspiration of stomach contents into the lungs, causing inflammation of the lungs. Repeated regurgitation is damaging to the tooth enamel, and can lead to disturbances of fluid, electrolyte and acid-base status.

Continue Learning about GERD

Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Heartburn occurs when digestive acid from the stomach backs up into the esophagus, the muscular tube that connects the throat to the stomach. This cau...
What Should a Smart Patient Ask the Doctor About Chronic Acid Reflux?
What Foods Trigger Acid Reflux?
What Foods Trigger Acid Reflux?
How Can Acid Reflux Affect My Voice?
How Can Acid Reflux Affect My Voice?