What is acid reflux?

Acid reflux is when acid comes up from the stomach into the esophagus and causes heartburn or indigestion.

Heartburn, or acid reflux, is acidic stomach fluid regurgitating into the esophagus.

Acid reflux involves a faulty valve in the digestive system. It occurs when a valve called the lower esophageal sphincter releases at the wrong time, sending stomach acids back into the esophagus. This creates a burning feeling in the throat or the chest. Most cases can be relieved with a prescription or an over-the-counter treatment; see a doctor to avoid permanent damage to the esophageal lining.

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)
Acid reflux means that acid in the stomach for digesting food backs up through the valve that separates the esophagus from the stomach. This animation shows how acid reflux occurs.

Dr. Bryan Vartabedian, MD
Pediatric Gastroenterologist

Acid reflux, or Gastroesophageal reflux (GER), describes the physiologic condition in which stomach contents come up from the stomach into the esophagus where it doesn't belong.  It's important to understand that this definition says nothing about being sick or miserable. That's because reflux is a physiologic process, which means that it's normal. All of us experience reflux at various times in the day but most of us are unaware when it occurs.

But sometimes the flow of stomach contents into the esophagus can create problems. Gastric contents can irritate the esophagus and upper airway creating symptoms of cough, throat clearing, hoarseness, wheezing and difficulty swallowing. When reflux creates problems we refer to it as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), or pathologic reflux.

Continue Learning about GERD

Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Heartburn occurs when digestive acid from the stomach backs up into the esophagus, the muscular tube that connects the throat to the stomach. This cau...
When should I see a doctor about heartburn?
Infrequent heartburn can be treated by over-the-counter antacids. However, frequent heartburn can be...
How safe is surgery for acid reflux?
SwedishSwedish
Despite the fact that antireflux surgery is well established and very safe, it is still a major oper...
When Should I See a Doctor About Heartburn?