What happens if my doctor suspects Barrett's esophagus?

If your doctor performs an upper GI endoscopy and sees an abnormality that might be Barrett's esophagus, either in the esophageal lining or in the folds at the bottom of your esophagus, then a biopsy of the tissue is taken. The tissue will then be examined under a microscope to determine if you have Barrett's esophagus.

Continue Learning about GERD

What Increases My Risk for GERD?
What Increases My Risk for GERD?
No food after midnight! That was one of the “rules” for avoiding trouble that down-and-out Rand (Hoyt Axton) was given when he bought an extraterrestr...
Is heartburn the same as acid reflux?
Heartburn is simply the common term for acid reflux. It is the symptom described when acid is re...
What foods can cause acid reflux?
Dr. Roshini C. Rajapaksa, MDDr. Roshini C. Rajapaksa, MD
Some foods that can cause or make acid reflux worse include caffeine, chocolate, tomatoes, citrus fr...
When Should I See a Doctor About Heartburn?