What is the difference between heartburn and acid reflux?

People use these terms interchangeably, but there is a difference. Acid reflux occurs when stomach acid flows back into the esophagus. This causes heartburn, a feeling of pain, tightness or discomfort in the middle of the chest.

Heartburn and acid reflux are different in that acid reflux is a medical condition and heartburn is a symptom of acid reflux. In acid reflux, acid in the stomach moves backward from the stomach into the esophagus or feeding tube. Heartburn is a common symptom of acid reflux and is a pain or discomfort in the chest that is caused by acid refluxing into the esophagus. It is often a burning sensation that can be associated with nausea, vomiting, burping, coughing, or a sour taste in the mouth.

Continue Learning about GERD

What is acid reflux?
John Randolph Medical Center - HCA VirginiaJohn Randolph Medical Center - HCA Virginia
Heartburn, or acid reflux, is acidic stomach fluid regurgitating into the esophagus.
Will raising the head of my bed help with heartburn?
Sleeping on an incline is one recommended way to stop heartburn. Eating small, frequent meals is als...
How Long Can I Take Medications to Treat GERD?
What Are GERD and Heartburn?
What Are GERD and Heartburn?