What is the difference between heartburn and acid reflux?

Heartburn and acid reflux are different in that acid reflux is a medical condition and heartburn is a symptom of acid reflux. In acid reflux, acid in the stomach moves backward from the stomach into the esophagus or feeding tube. Heartburn is a common symptom of acid reflux and is a pain or discomfort in the chest that is caused by acid refluxing into the esophagus. It is often a burning sensation that can be associated with nausea, vomiting, burping, coughing, or a sour taste in the mouth.

People use these terms interchangeably, but there is a difference. Acid reflux occurs when stomach acid flows back into the esophagus. This causes heartburn, a feeling of pain, tightness or discomfort in the middle of the chest.

Continue Learning about GERD

What Increases My Risk for GERD?
What Increases My Risk for GERD?
No food after midnight! That was one of the “rules” for avoiding trouble that down-and-out Rand (Hoyt Axton) was given when he bought an extraterrestr...
How can I tell if my chest pain is angina or acid reflux?
Dr. Gary W. Falk, MDDr. Gary W. Falk, MD
Acid reflux and angina are two vastly different conditions, but in some cases, the same symptoms are...
How can I prevent gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD)?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
No one is exactly sure why gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and heartburn affect some people a...
What Is the Difference Between Acidic and Alkaline Foods?