What is the difference between acid reflux and GERD?

Acid reflux is the usual heart burn after a spicy or rich meal, but GERD is the persistence of ongoing symptoms with the evidence of tissue damage.

The difference between acid reflux and GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) is that while acid reflux may occur rarely or occasionally, GERD is more severe and symptoms are experienced much more frequently. Lifestyle changes are often enough to prevent acid reflux, while with GERD, medication in addition to lifestyle changes, are often required.

Continue Learning about GERD

3 Ways to Squelch the Flames of Heart Disease
Reducing your risk of heart disease is as easy as switching up your diet. Find out from Carra Richling, from Ornish Lifestyle Medicine, how a plant-ba...
What is acid reflux?
Regional Medical Center Bayonet PointRegional Medical Center Bayonet Point
Acid reflux is when acid comes up from the stomach into the esophagus and causes heartburn or indige...
Is heartburn the same as acid reflux?
Heartburn is simply the common term for acid reflux. It is the symptom described when acid is re...
How Long Can I Take Medications to Treat GERD?