What causes acid reflux?

When you eat, food travels from your mouth to your stomach via your esophagus. Your esophagus connects to your stomach by a circular band of muscles called the lower esophageal sphincter (LES). When you swallow, the LES relaxes to let food and liquids drain down into your stomach. After it closes up, this stops the acid from flowing back into the esophagus. But sometimes your LES becomes weak or relaxes when it shouldn't. This allows acid from your stomach to flow back into your esophagus -- or even into your throat and mouth.

Acid reflux is a common health problem that is often caused by an irregular angle between the esophagus and stomach. To learn more about acid reflux, watch this video by Dr. Oz.

Continue Learning about GERD

3 Ways to Squelch the Flames of Heart Disease
Reducing your risk of heart disease is as easy as switching up your diet. Find out from Carra Richling, from Ornish Lifestyle Medicine, how a plant-ba...
When should I call my doctor about my GERD symptoms?
When should I call my doctor about my GERD symptoms? If you have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GE...
Is there a correlation between acid reflux and IBS?
Lisa Ganjhu, DOLisa Ganjhu, DO
Between stomach acids and spasms, it can be easy to mistake IBS for acid reflux, and vice versa....
How Can I Get My Heartburn Under Control?