What does a biopsy for Barrett's esophagus involve?

If you are diagnosed with Barrett's esophagus, it is important for your doctor to monitor your condition through endoscopy to take biopsies or tissue samples. Because it is difficult to biopsy an entire segment of Barrett's esophagus, a regular and thorough method of taking samples is used in most medical centers. This is often combined with spraying the area with different fluids, such as vinegar, to allow the physician to identify the best areas to biopsy. Specialized endoscopes can also be used to change the light used to see the esophagus to identify areas for biopsy. The biopsies are examined by the pathologist, who looks for microscopic changes in the tissue that show that the cells are becoming more abnormal and cancerous. These changes are called dysplasia.

Continue Learning about GERD

What Increases My Risk for GERD?
What Increases My Risk for GERD?
No food after midnight! That was one of the “rules” for avoiding trouble that down-and-out Rand (Hoyt Axton) was given when he bought an extraterrestr...
Is GERD the same thing as heartburn?
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is an often chronic malfunction of the muscle between your es...
How can I tell if my chest pain is angina or acid reflux?
Dr. Gary W. Falk, MDDr. Gary W. Falk, MD
Acid reflux and angina are two vastly different conditions, but in some cases, the same symptoms are...
What Are GERD and Heartburn?
What Are GERD and Heartburn?