What kind of beverages should I avoid to prevent acid reflux?

There are multiple causes of acid reflux, and every person can have individual exacerbating factors and foods. When it comes to beverages, some of the more common causes of acid reflux include coffee, fruit juices and alcohol. It is important to note that although milk may help soothe the throat initially, it is acidic and can worsen acid reflux.

Don't pop that top -- soda worsens reflux! In this video, otolaryngologist Jonathan Aviv, MD, a guest on The Dr. Oz Show and the clinical director of the Voice and Swallowing Center, explains the drinks to avoid if you have reflux.

Continue Learning about GERD

What Increases My Risk for GERD?
What Increases My Risk for GERD?
No food after midnight! That was one of the “rules” for avoiding trouble that down-and-out Rand (Hoyt Axton) was given when he bought an extraterrestr...
What is acid reflux disease?
Acid reflux disease is also called gastroesophageal reflux disease, or GERD. It's caused when the LE...
Who is a good candidate for endoscopic surgery for GERD?
Dr. Mauri G. Lunderman, MDDr. Mauri G. Lunderman, MD
Surgery to correct GERD is considered in younger patients to help them from a lifetime of ongoing re...
How Is GERD Treated?
How Is GERD Treated?