Should I talk to my doctor about my GERD or heartburn symptoms?

Manuel E. Rodriguez, MD
A gastroenterologist talks about the severity of symptoms and the dangers of frequently using over-the-counter medicines. Watch this video with Manuel Rodriguez, MD from Blake Medical Center.
You should see your doctor immediately if you have symptoms such as unexplained weight loss, trouble swallowing or internal bleeding in addition to heartburn and/or acid regurgitation. Symptoms that persist after you have made simple lifestyle changes also warrant a visit to your doctor. In addition, if you use over-the-counter medications regularly to reduce symptoms such as heartburn or acid regurgitation, you should consult a physician to determine the best course of treatment for you.

You should talk to your doctor about your gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and heartburn symptoms, especially if you get heartburn more than twice a week. Though occasional heartburn is very common and probably not serious, frequent heartburn is the primary symptom of GERD. If your symptoms are interfering with your normal daily activities or if you have been treating your symptoms with over-the-counter medications for more than two weeks, you should contact your doctor.

Continue Learning about GERD

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.