Are there side effects to treatments for GERD and heartburn?

Most of the medications used to treat GERD are very well-tolerated. There may be some increased risk of bone fracture after long-term use of proton pump inhibitors, especially when used at high doses.

Though most methods of treatment for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and heartburn are safe, there are a few potential side effects that you should discuss with your doctor. For example, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a warning about a possible increased risk of bone fractures in people who take certain drugs that are used to treat GERD and heartburn. The FDA warns that some studies have found an increased risk of hip, wrist, and spine fractures in people who take over-the-counter or prescription proton pump inhibitors. These are medications that block stomach acid production. The brand names include Prilosec, Nexium, Prevacid, Dexilant, Zegerid, Protonix, Aciphex, and Vimovo. The greatest risk of fractures was found in people over 50 years of age who took high doses or took the medication for over a year. As with any surgery, there are also potential side effects associated with the types of surgery that are sometimes used to treat severe cases of GERD. Difficulty swallowing and abdominal discomfort after meals has been reported in some people after esophageal surgery.

Continue Learning about GERD

Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Heartburn occurs when digestive acid from the stomach backs up into the esophagus, the muscular tube that connects the throat to the stomach. This cau...
What is acid reflux?
Regional Medical Center Bayonet PointRegional Medical Center Bayonet Point
Acid reflux is when acid comes up from the stomach into the esophagus and causes heartburn or indige...
Is heartburn the same as acid reflux?
Heartburn is simply the common term for acid reflux. It is the symptom described when acid is re...
What Can I Do to Restore My Body's Acid-Alkaline Balance?