Are there side effects to treatments for GERD and heartburn?

Most of the medications used to treat GERD are very well-tolerated. There may be some increased risk of bone fracture after long-term use of proton pump inhibitors, especially when used at high doses.

Though most methods of treatment for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and heartburn are safe, there are a few potential side effects that you should discuss with your doctor. For example, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a warning about a possible increased risk of bone fractures in people who take certain drugs that are used to treat GERD and heartburn. The FDA warns that some studies have found an increased risk of hip, wrist, and spine fractures in people who take over-the-counter or prescription proton pump inhibitors. These are medications that block stomach acid production. The brand names include Prilosec, Nexium, Prevacid, Dexilant, Zegerid, Protonix, Aciphex, and Vimovo. The greatest risk of fractures was found in people over 50 years of age who took high doses or took the medication for over a year. As with any surgery, there are also potential side effects associated with the types of surgery that are sometimes used to treat severe cases of GERD. Difficulty swallowing and abdominal discomfort after meals has been reported in some people after esophageal surgery.

Continue Learning about GERD

7 Ways to Fight GERD
7 Ways to Fight GERD
Sometimes the signs of acid reflux are unmistakeable -- from searing heartburn to sour-tasting acid burbling up in your throat. Sometimes the signs ar...
What foods are the worst triggers for acid reflux?
Doctors Hospital of AugustaDoctors Hospital of Augusta
Here are the top 10 triggers for acid reflux. This is not a complete list, for sure. Avoid the foods...
Why does lying down make GERD worse?
When you lie down, your stomach changes position, so that there is more acid exposure on the valve s...
Frequent Reflux: What Should I Ask My Doctor about GERD?