How can endoscopic mucosal resection treat Barrett's esophagus?

Lyall A. Gorenstein, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)
Patients with Barrett's esophagus who develop mucosal carcinoma or focal lesions of high-grade dysplasia are benefiting from endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR). EMR is performed through the endoscope, and involves injection of a solution under the Barrett's lining or applying suction to remove it, much like a colon polyp. While this procedure cannot remove all of the Barrett's lining, EMR can be used to remove a small cancer or a localized area of high-grade dysplasia. Endoscopic ultrasound is used to judge whether EMR is appropriate and is also effective for staging, providing definitive evidence on the depth of the tumor.

Continue Learning about GERD

7 Ways to Fight GERD
7 Ways to Fight GERD
Sometimes the signs of acid reflux are unmistakeable -- from searing heartburn to sour-tasting acid burbling up in your throat. Sometimes the signs ar...
Can acid reflux cause serious problems?
Fort Walton Beach Medical CenterFort Walton Beach Medical Center
Chronic acid reflux can lead to inflammation in the lining of the esophagus. This is called esophagi...
What can I do about acid reflux?
Dr. Robynne K. Chutkan, MDDr. Robynne K. Chutkan, MD
Reflux is your body knocking on your door saying, "I don't like how you've been treating me. All tha...
What Foods Trigger Acid Reflux?
What Foods Trigger Acid Reflux?