Can the medication I am taking cause heartburn or GERD?

Some individuals may be on medications that promote acid reflux, such as calcium channel blockers and nitrates. However, these medications should not be stopped by patients without consultation from their doctor.

Taking certain medications increases your risk of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and heartburn because they can interfere with the functioning of the muscle between your stomach and esophagus or increase the amount of stomach acid that leaks from the stomach to the esophagus. Some drugs can also irritate your esophagus, contributing to the symptoms of heartburn and GERD. You should talk to your doctor if you are have GERD or heartburn and are taking any of the following medications that could be contributing to your symptoms:

• aspirin
  • ibuprofen
  • opioids
  • antibiotics
  • calcium channel lockers
  • nitrates
  • progesterone
  • quinidine
  • bisphosphonates
  • sedatives or tranquilizers
  • theophylline
  • anticholinergics (this includes some antidepressants and antihistamines)

Even if you suspect that your medication is causing GERD or heartburn or is making it worse, you should not stop taking it unless your doctor tells you to do so.

Continue Learning about GERD

7 Ways to Fight GERD
7 Ways to Fight GERD
Sometimes the signs of acid reflux are unmistakeable -- from searing heartburn to sour-tasting acid burbling up in your throat. Sometimes the signs ar...
Are there healthy reasons why the valve involved in GERD opens?
The valve between your esophagus and stomach that opens to let acid back up in GERD also opens for h...
Should I change my sleeping habits if I have heartburn or GERD?
American Society for Gastrointestinal EndoscopyAmerican Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
You should not eat or drink for at least two hours before going to bed. Also, propping up the head o...
What Foods Trigger Acid Reflux?
What Foods Trigger Acid Reflux?