What is likely to cause pain in the top part of my stomach?

Most common diagnosis: Heartburn 

At the top of your abdomen (12:00 position), your esophagus meets the stomach. When the muscle connecting the 2 relaxes at the wrong time it can allow stomach acid to back up, causing the searing pain known as heartburn

What you can do: Take OTC antacids neutralize the acid. If after a week, you’re still experiencing heartburn 2 times or more a week, it’s time to see your doctor. When left untreated, chronic heartburn can cause esophageal damage, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and put you at risk for esophageal cancer.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about GERD

7 Ways to Fight GERD
7 Ways to Fight GERD
Sometimes the signs of acid reflux are unmistakeable -- from searing heartburn to sour-tasting acid burbling up in your throat. Sometimes the signs ar...
What procedures help treat GERD?
Dr. Mauri G. Lunderman, MDDr. Mauri G. Lunderman, MD
Medications, such as proton pump inhibitors and histamine blockers, treat GERD by lowering acid prod...
How can I prevent gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD)?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
No one is exactly sure why gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and heartburn affect some people a...
How Common Are GERD and Heartburn?
How Common Are GERD and Heartburn?