What is likely to cause pain in the top part of my stomach?

Most common diagnosis: Heartburn 

At the top of your abdomen (12:00 position), your esophagus meets the stomach. When the muscle connecting the 2 relaxes at the wrong time it can allow stomach acid to back up, causing the searing pain known as heartburn

What you can do: Take OTC antacids neutralize the acid. If after a week, you’re still experiencing heartburn 2 times or more a week, it’s time to see your doctor. When left untreated, chronic heartburn can cause esophageal damage, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and put you at risk for esophageal cancer.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about GERD

What do I need to know about caring for someone with GERD and heartburn?
When caring for someone with gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and heartburn, it is important t...
Is gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) a serious condition?
SwedishSwedish
Although gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is not considered a serious condition, its impact on...
How can acid reflux affect my voice?
Fort Walton Beach Medical CenterFort Walton Beach Medical Center
In some patients, acid from reflux can move into the upper esophagus and larynx, especially at night...
GERD: A Doctor's Perspective
GERD: A Doctor's Perspective