Is gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) a serious condition?

Although gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is not considered a serious condition, its impact on one's quality of life is quite detrimental. GERD can affect many areas of life, including sleeping habits, social life, enjoyment of foods and a person's overall sense of well-being. GERD can have a series of serious health consequences, including narrowing of the esophagus due to repeated injury and scarring, the development of ulcers and esophageal bleeding. These conditions sometime don't respond to medication. GERD has also been associated with sleep disturbances and weight management. Additionally, serious lung complications can develop, because when that fluid comes up through the throat, it can enter the lungs. This is called aspiration and it can have life-threatening consequences.

Continue Learning about GERD

Get Smarter About Heartburn Drugs
Get Smarter About Heartburn Drugs
Proton pump inhibitors, or PPIs – taken by an estimated 20 million Americans to douse heartburn pain – are associated with a 44 percent increased risk...
Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Health Risks of Untreated GERD
Heartburn occurs when digestive acid from the stomach backs up into the esophagus, the muscular tube that connects the throat to the stomach. This cau...
Is Gastroesophageal Reflux (GERD) Becoming More Common?
What If Alkaline Foods Are Not Helping My Acid Reflux Symptoms?