Is GERD dangerous?

GERD causes repeated mild acid burns in the lower end of the esophagus, which connects the stomach to the throat. The constant burning injures the lower esophagus and the valve separating it from the stomach.  Over time, repeated injury can scar and weaken the valve, which worsens the backflow of acid. The animation shows how this injury occurs.

Continue Learning about GERD

3 Ways to Squelch the Flames of Heart Disease
Reducing your risk of heart disease is as easy as switching up your diet. Find out from Carra Richling, from Ornish Lifestyle Medicine, how a plant-ba...
Is there more than one type of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)?
American Society for Gastrointestinal EndoscopyAmerican Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
There are different causes of GERD, but not more than one type. Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GER...
How does a LINX device help treat acid reflux?
The Medical Center of AuroraThe Medical Center of Aurora
A LINX device will help muscles that fail during acid reflux. It allows food to be swallowed without...
What If Alkaline Foods Are Not Helping My Acid Reflux Symptoms?